Saturday, February 28, 2009

Roses, Hospitals and Cookies - Oh My!

Whew - look at me getting a Valentine's Day post in while it's STILL FEBRUARY - amazing.

I'm not much of a Valentine's Day person - I don't despise the holiday or anything - but I don't care much for it. It seems like a lot of pressure for no good reason. Also - roses - who came up with that? Because here's what happens: I get roses, I have to find a vase, cut the stems, figure out how much food to put in there etc, all the while avoiding THORNS. These flowers have thorns people - they are not warm, fuzzy flowers. Then a week later the roses look awful and I need to now extricate them from the vase without losing a finger. Also - thorns and trash bags do not get along. Roses are beautiful and all - but I prefer them on the bush!

OK wow - so rant over. Having a toddler around makes Valentine's Day much more fun though. Ever since the Christmas Cookie extravaganza Lily's been wanting to make cookies again. She'll turn to us and say: "Make cookies? I get my hands dirty again?" How can one resist such a request? So Valentine's Day provided the perfect excuse to make more sugar cookies!

The day before, our friends Lisa, Sofia and Rick came over and we rolled out the dough and cut out the shapes. Sadly I didn't get any pictures that night - we also ran out of time and didn't get to frost them. The plan was that we'd do it the next day.

Well Saturday came and I woke up bleeding. Not really what you want to see when you're 26(ish) weeks pregnant. After a requisite freak-out in which I blamed myself for anything that might be going wrong, I talked to my doctor. She suggested tuning in to see if baby was moving and if not going to L&D right away, or if s/he was moving just meeting her there around noon. Thankfully Baby Koi is a mover and shaker and let me know that things were probably okay pretty quickly. I sat around for awhile and then decided I might as well worry in L&D hooked up to a fetal monitor instead of in my living room. So off I went. Of course having Lily at home meant that I was on my own for this little adventure, at least for the initial assessment.

To make a long story, short, I got there, got hooked up to the fetal monitor and soon found out everything with Baby K was just fine. They had a bit of trouble holding onto his heartbeat because this baby is just ALL over the place. But otherwise, no issues. My doctor theorized that I had a UTI and sent me home with antibiotics. Since I'm writing this post weeks later I can also tell you that the cultures came back negative for infection, so now she's thinking maybe it was a kidney stone. I'm hoping that it WAS a kidney stone and I managed to get rid of it without any pain. My other concern is that there's still a stone in there waiting to cause me some serious discomfort. So fingers crossed. Ah how I LOVE pregnancy. I had no idea that kidney stones are yet another thing that pregnant woman are more likely to experience. Lovely.

So five hours and one really terrible lunch later I returned home. Gordon and Lily had picked me up some scary lovely roses earlier in the day and supplies for a great dinner. Lily and I finally got down to the business of frosting those cookies from the night before We had a great time - and Gordon managed to snap some pics too:

The artist hard at work

Can you tell we share DNA?

So THIS is why the frosting bowls were empty!


Proudly displaying the finished product

Cookie crumbs everywhere

Our Valentine's day celebration ended with a lovely meal of surf and turf: scallops (my favorite) and some great beef. Then we munched on the cookies. Gordon totally made up for the horrible hospital lunch I had been given earlier that day and gave me all the things I want for Valentine's Day: family, love and yumminess. We hope yours was fun too!

No comments: