Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Music to My Ears



Well I'm happy to report that I finally got a "Mommy" out of her. So it's now REALLY official - I'm someone's Mom. To be fair I wasn't in the room when she gave me my title. Gordon had gone in to wake her up and she said "Mommy" while on the changing table. I was close enough to hear it though - pretty awesome. I try not to dwell on the fact that I barely cracked the top five. Here are the people who came before me:
1. Daddy (also known as "Da" and "Dada" -she's got this one nailed from every perspective)
2. Barney (yes, I confirmed the suspected daycare link)
3. Papa
4. Grammy
I'm sure there will come a day when I will not want to hear her say Mommy for the upteenth time... but for now - I'll savor it every chance I get.

Lily's language is starting to take off now in a very general way. It's fascinating to see her make connections and build her vocabulary. It's also great to have a little window into what's going on in her head. Her recent additions:

Water - quickly rocketing to the "most used" spot. Lily seems to always want water - making me wonder if she's spent the beginning of her young life dehydrated or something. Just today she threw herself face first into the bath water hoping to get a drink. Gordon had her wrapped up in a towel afterwards and she looked at me sputtering a bit and said "wa wa". Don't even ask about the time we found her in the master bathroom trying to bail out the toilet with a soda can pilfered from the recycling bin.

Grammy, Papa - my parents babysat on Saturday night while G and I went to O Ya* to celebrate our third anniversary. Our reservations were really early so Lily got to spend a lot of awake time with her grandparents. The next day when I woke her up she looked at me and said "Grammy? Papa?" Very cute.

Weee - another new favorite, she pulls this out when she's doing anything involving motion that she perceives to be fun. Examples: riding in the stroller, swinging in the park, going down a slide, pushing a toy car around the house, etc.

Thank You - makes a mom proud I tell you! She's still working on "proper pronunciation", but Mimi (daycare) has been very proud of her progress here.

She's also working hard on: yogurt, music and flower. It's so fun to see her delighted expression when we get it.

*For those interested: O Ya was very very yummy. It is also very very expensive and apparently aims for quality over quantity. I left feeling both pleased by our dining experience and angry that I couldn't have MORE OF THAT AWESOME FOOD.

No comments: